Thursday, April 19, 2012

Thrifted: Mid century modern valet chair

I am so excited to talk about my new furniture piece you guys! (This totally fed my chair obsession.)   I was on my way home this afternoon and I decided to stop into my local Value Village. And boy, am I glad I did!


Purchasing this piece was lots of fun, and kind of scary. When I thrift something I like to know at least what it is, and something of its origin if i can.  Needless to say I had no idea what this thing was. After staring at it for a few minutes I decided to ask an older lady that walked by me to browse the scarves. She said that it probably held pants, a suit jacket and cufflinks in the little tray in the back. She also began to tell me how cool it could be if I was into decorating with unconventional pieces. Then she opened up the seat. I had no idea that it even opened up for storing "shoe polish and things" (that's what she told me).


I was way too excited to get it home and scrub the $24.99 $8.08 off of the leather and wood seat and place it in my living room. I want to use it to create a little book nook by my book shelf. Right now it's serving as a stand for our faux vintage radio/ipod player.



Of course when I got 'er home I had to do some research. It took me about 15 minutes to find out what it was, with the helpful hints of the lady from the store. I just googled "suits stand". "vintage suit rack", "suit holder seat" etc. Finally I found something when I noticed the angle of the legs..."mid century modern suit rack". Bingo. And I just continued to dig around from there. It's actually a mid century modern valet chair.

It's crazy to think that one day someone may find something of mine in a thrift store and wonder what the heck it is. I'm sure some kids today are completely baffled by floppy discs already.

9 comments:

  1. What's a floppy disk? lol

    ...Hey Ima need you to find me something funky for my cubicle. Yeah.

    ---Chloey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol...
      I can do that! I heard about IHG, Congrats! We need to chat soon.

      Delete
  2. Why does this not surprise me?
    ---Shakeeta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shakee-kee! That shouldn't surprise you at all. Consider it one more thing you know about me, chair obsession.

      Delete
  3. Neat! I've never seen anything like that before! I really like the design of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither prior to this. Yeah I was sooo confused about what it was... lol

      Delete
  4. i love it!!! and when i come back down i wanna see this house that looks so beautifully decorated!!!

    ps...sooo this is the blog i read when i want to smile in the middle of sighing at work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanx Corina! You should come? When are you coming?!

      Delete