Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Yo Lady Windermere... I found your bracelet!

As promised I did a little google research and found the origin of the quote
"I can resist anything except temptation" that was on the bracelet I purchased from a thrift store a few weeks ago.

The quote comes from the 1892 scandalous, satiric play Lady Windermere's Fan written by Irish playwright Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde about an upper-middle class woman in Victorian society who realizes her husband is having an affair. In the end the mistress reveals herself...and it's not at all who you would have expected.  The play pokes fun at marriage during that era and I guess how it's "sanctity" is forever in question.

Ooo scandalous! So of course I can only imagine the context in which this bracelet made it on the arm of some lady somewhere.  Just think about it....

Apparently there is a 2004 version "A Good Woman",  starring Scarlett Johansson.... I think I might check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment